Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Plum Puree How-To

I made PLUM PUREE yesterday for the babies. Here's how:



These are my tools; A bag of black plums from WIC, a paring knife, a cutting board, and a blender. I few items are not pictured, I realized I needed them later: a potato peeler, paper towels, and a medium pot. 

  1. Wash, peel, pit and chop as many plums as you'd like. I had 7 plums. 
  2. Put slices into the pot and add a small amount of water. I added about 1/2 cup of water. 
  3. Steam the plums for 8-10 minutes (I forgot to time it, I was also making dinner, I just picked out a slice, let it cool, then tested the mushiness).

 4.  Let cool, then poor into the blender.
 5.  I used the pulse setting for about a minute. I'm sure you could use whatever setting, especially if your more experienced with a blender than I am.
 6.  Let cool a bit more, then measure into the containers you choose, label then freeze.

A baby's serving size is 2 tablespoons. I put 4 tbs (2 servings) into a container, because I'm pretty sure I'll feed my twins out of the same container. Measuring into the containers will prepare for sanitary, healthy (disables overeating), and easy feeding times. 


These are applesauce containers my neighbor gave me. At least I think she said they were applesauce, i have never seen them with lids but ta-da! They were perfect. The labels are Evenflo's Smartsteps Magic Labels (disolving labels). They were on clearance at Wal-Mart in the baby section for $2.50 for 50 labels. 


Seven small plums and 1/2 cup of water filled 7 containers with 4 tbs. 


I thought you would like to see what the labels look like. On the left I used regular sharpie, on the right is a ball point pen. Personally, I would like how a medium felt tip pen would look, but I have none. I put the measured amount, what it is, and the date. I added at the bottom - 2 serv - so I remember that one container is for both of them a month from now, ha ha ha!

So, I tasted it, well, I licked the spoon, and it was delicious! It was very similar to applesauce. 

Plums are not a high allergy risk and good for ages 6+ months. They are high in fiber, low in cholesterol, sodium free and contain vitamins A&C. 

Well that's all I got. 

No comments:

Post a Comment